take home exam in SLA statistics
This take home exam consists of 5 questions based on an article. it it basically depends on statistics and quantitative methods in the field of applied linguistics.
If you have a specialist in statistics, please assign this assignment to him.
All the description and instructions will be in the attitude file.
ANSWERS SHOULD BE DIRECT TO THE POINT.
THE TIME IS PRECISE AND SHRP.
Homework 5: ANOVA
Bitchener, J. & Knoch, U. (2009). The value of a focused approach to written corrective feedback.ELT Journal, 63(3), 204-2011.
- On p. 208, Bitchener and Knoch say: “Because no statistically significant differences on the pre-test scores were found between the groups, a two-way repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA) was chosen to address the research question.” Why was it important that there were no significant differences on the pre-test? (1)
- In Table 4 on p. 208, look at the treatment group.
- How did its standard deviation change over the course of the study? (0.5)
- What is the likely reason for that change? (0.5)
- Look at Table 5 on p. 209:
- What does the significant p-value for “Group” indicate? (1)
- What does the significant p-value for “Time” indicate? (1)
- On p. 209, Bitchener and Knoch say that “students performed significantly better at testing period five (after ten months) than at testing period four (after six months), p <.001”.
- What is the effect size of the difference? (0.5)
- Is it small, medium, or large? (0.5)